Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nov 10, 2012 San Felipe to Punta Willard, Bahia Gonzaga Papa Fernandez

The road from San Felipe to Punta Willard is now mostly paved except the last 15 miles or so and that should be done soon.  I couldn´t get it to come up on google maps unless I used the latitude - longitude format 29.829, -114.403.  There is a famous quirky little campo there started by Papa Fernandez.  His family still runs it and gringos have built houses on the land they lease there from the family. I would hate to be providing title insurance there.

http://www.papafernandez.com/index.html

We met up with Sadie and Greg again.  Greg was already pretty well pickled when we got there. We hung out with them and a couple of brothers, Tony and his brother.  They looked like the kind of guys who might escape to a remote part of México.  It made me wish we had more time there to get the back story on them and Sadie and her dad who had been an adventure tour guide for jeep.  But it could have been scary as well the way the story might unfold- it just had that vibe.  The other retirees we met at breakfast were a quirky but interesting bunch.


We can also see what happens when a neat freak goes motorcycle camping.  I can use the motorcycle as a washing machine and dryer with the help of a 2.5 gallon Ziploc sack.  I agitate the clothes in the bag by hand for one wash cycle with soap and one rinse cycle for about 5 minutes each in a liter of water each time.  The MSR dromedary bag carries 10 liters so I can also get a little shower from it over a 24 hour camping cycle.  I also brought clothes pins to dry the clothes on the bike.    The pins and bag take up very little space and weight.  The water and extra gallon of gas do throw off the balance of the bike a bit since I don´t want to put any clothes or soft goods in with the gas can.  I tried to find one that was hermetically sealed and failed, so it is in a couple of 2.5 gallon Ziplocs as well. If anyone has a line on a half gallon or gallon fuel canister that really seals, let me know.
.



We camped on the beach.  It was amazingly beautiful.  The wind kept the bugs away, but also educated me on the disadvantages of a large tent, namely wind noise that keeps you up at night.  Between the frustration of this well worn internet cafe keyboard with the half dead key responses, the lack of an English spell checker on this mexican PC, and my need for dinner, I will have to retire this issue of the blog. I had hoped to catch up but what is a vacation if it isn´t short on time...

2 comments:

  1. You could just keep one blog and keep adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to, but Google switched over their blogging software and I waited a week to long to convert it to my google account and now the old blogs are trapped in cyberspace... uneditable.

    isaac-

    ReplyDelete